Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The boy my mom likes

Being a single girl, have you ever had your mother call you up in a frenzy and say "I just met the perfect guy for you!!"

Yes.. of course you have, because that's normal.

Not my mom... Noooo. My mom sends me an email that says:


"Kate... I just met my future son in law........picture is enclosed."


At this point, I'm thinking: Oh jesus mom, not another one. Her last attempted set up was highly ridiculous, but another story altogether. So, with no dread at all, I open the picture. The problem has never been their looks... she's got herself some good taste in that area. The problem is.............they're all slightly brain dead.

I open his picture.

He's beautiful. He's the kind of guy that you think about paying to be your date to a high school reunion.

Naturally, I look him up on facebook. Facebook picture...equally gorgeous. So, naturally I give the go ahead. I mean, when you see a man of this beauty, it's hard to think about the ramifications... like the fact that he's already met your mother. And the awkwardness of being on a date with someone that your mother chose. To add to it, his mother and my mother are friends. awkward.......


Anyway, I forego all of that, and subject her to daily questions about if she's talked to his mom yet. Knowing full well that she hasn't because they only see eachother once a week. But the last time my mom wanted to set me up with a guy it took me 2 years to meet him and it was a total let down and he was kind of a loser. A really cool loser, but a loser none the less.

Anyways, so we decide that we need a plan. Yes, plotting and scheming is a family trait. And this is the one I came up with... tell me if you like it:

"Hey Jan**, So, you've met my daughter Kate, right? Well she's writing an article about being a single girl in the city and the set ups she goes on, and she's letting me set her up for the article. I immediately thought of your son. Think he'd be interested?"

Check it out: Pro's: if he has a girlfriend, there's no rejection.
if he's just not into random mom set ups... no rejection
if the date goes god awful...... no rejections on his or my part.

Con's: if the date goes well, and he asks to see the article or asks for whom I am writing the article... I'm F***ed because it is, in fact a lie and I'm pretty sure that this blog doesn't count as a publication for which field research is needed. Awkward.


Thoughts?

KK.

No comments: