Saturday, August 30, 2008

Man Friend pt 2: The Perfect Way to Say Good-Bye

As explained in 'Man Friend pt. 1: Things Your Man Friend Should Never Say,' (which you probably haven't read because of the close proximity of the postings....I recommend skipping down and reading first), Man Friend and I have a limited time together. Even more limited because I've made plans with other people for the next few weekends, so this was (is) our last weekend of totally hanging out.

I'm currently fighting Malaria (OK, not Malaria, but it's some sort of brutal respiratory tract infection that is KILLING ME....or just making me cough really really badly), and my boss, who is a doctor mentions that some time in the Alps might do me some good. Yes, that's right folks, my prescription was Mountain Air. What am I? Freaking Heidi? Anyways, so I invite Man Friend along. Basically, I invite him to plan the whole trip since he knows his way around WAY better. He does, and we plan to go on Saturday at like 6 am. But I'm sick, so he lets me sleep in, and we meet up for the 8 am train (To my North American peeps.... Swiss timing is INSANE. 6 am seems like a totally natural hour to these people. Man Friend is not Swiss but he has been socialized accordingly). Letting me sleep in pretty much makes you my hero any day of the week.

So, we get there a few hours later, grab the bus up the mountain, then grab a gondola a little bit farther and then we start to hike. So, fresh mountain air may very well be good for the respiratory tract, but do you know what is NOT? HIKING UP 2000 METERS TO THE FRESH MOUNTAIN AIR. I almost died, and I am NOT that out of shape (please see previous post and apply this to there as well).

So after going into a major hyperventilation state, Man Friend suggests that we take it easy and just hang out around there for a while. I concur. We find a lovely little stream of glacial water running down in the middle of the greenest field that I have ever seen, with jagged snow topped peaks surrounding us on all sides. It was mystifying, and breathtaking (if I had any), and awe inspiring. The scene is what the person who coined the term: 'awesome'* must have felt.

We spread out under the sun and the blue cloudless sky and just relaxed, and napped. Yes people, today I napped in the swiss Alps... How was your Saturday?

I woke up to Man Friend in the stream, playing with rocks. I didn't pay much attention, because really...... I don't care.

Then he says "catch" and he throws me a totally flat rock that he has shaped into a heart.

It was the perfect gesture for our situation and our time together. No long drawn out admissions or stereos under a window, just a simple: here's a rock.... I cared enough to do this for you.

It's exactly what I needed.

During my time with Man Friend, I have often felt like we were together in another life, and today, I felt like I was getting a chance to say Good-bye to him the way that I had been deprived of in the past. Such a weird and New Age feeling which is so NOT me, but I had the feeling none the less, and if it's true, I'm grateful for the perfect good-bye that I never had. And if it's not: I'm grateful for the perfect Good-bye that I had just had at that moment.

A few hours later we went down the mountain to grab a beer.... at which point, the story is completed in the preceding post, and he ruined my perfect good-bye. Hence my desire to keep the two memories separate.

I'm still annoyed that he ruined it.

KK.

P.S. Mountain Air does help.... it's the getting up and down that SUCKS.

*awesome in the biblical sense, not the 'hey dude' sense.

No comments: