Friday, September 5, 2008

I went missing.... I'm sorry

Yes, I went missing while the Republican Convention was starting up. I'm sorry. And we will get to that. Perhaps I should subtitle this post.... Here goes:



Man Friend and Co.

Man Friend and I have managed to hang on to the last few weeks of things, via me being a giant bitch and demanding it. Here's the thing ladies... Men aren't mind readers, sometimes you have to tell them up front what you want and how you want them to deliver. Aka: "I'm here for one more week and I want you to be a part of it.... No No... That wasn't a question. Just a statement."

It worked. We're all hunkey dorey... at least until he realizes that it's soon a matter of days before I'm gone, rather than the matter of weeks...

A few nights ago, he cleared time in his busy schedule to come over and take care of me. I've been sick forever, it seems. He told me that I've been the only one for a while now, which might have been the nicest thing he's ever said to me. Man Friend isn't really into complimenting, and for some reason, I'm OK with that most days... until he gives me one, and then I'm like a chocoholic at Jenny Craig... I need more....

So there I am, fishing for more, when he says: "Don't worry, you'll find lots of idiots like me in your life..." He's right. I will. But for now, he's one of my favorite idiots.

In fact, I already have. Way back in February, I think about a week after I met Man Friend to begin with, I met this American Boy...we will call himmmm..... Tido.* So, I showed Tido around my city. He was three months into a year long tour around the world, and started with Europe. The first thing I did? I took him for a good old American Burger at an Irish pub. Totally the opposite of what my city is all about, but he loved it. We talked politics over beer**. There was definitely a connection of some kind, but he only had 7 hours in my city before his train left, so it was ill-fated and not even attempted. (At least by me... he tried to get off the train and stay for a few more days... which I had to nix).

Anyway, He emailed me in July and asked if I could meet him in Greece for a weekend at the end of his trip. I immediately called my friend, H. And told her that we were going to Greece while she was here. She didn't have that much of a problem with it.... strange... I just don't say no to first dates in Greece. It's a personal philosophy of mine.

So, Tido and I are meeting in Greece on the 16th for four days... to see "if there's anything there". Unless something unseemly happens.... see: An affair to remember. Sad movie.





POLITICS

I recently received a comment on a previous post, from Geek in Pink.*** Which I will address right now. Geek in Pink writes:

Interesting post. What is your position on Harper's relationship with Bush? Also, do you think that if Obama is elected that it will effect the outcome of Canada's election?

1. Thank you! Although "interesting" is one of those terms that you can use to describe something as ridiculous and useless without actually coming out and saying it.... buttering me up with compliments is always a good strategy, just for future reference.

2. My position on Harper's Relationship with Bush: My first inclination is to say: "What relationship?" Ever since Bush shafted Canada by breaking protocol and visiting Mexico first, we haven't really been all that into him. (That's not true... Canadians have ALWAYS thought he was a douche). Harper has definitely entertained Bush the way that is undoubtedly expected in terms of a Canadian Prime Minister entertaining the president of the United States, but I would not venture to say that he has a "special relationship" with Bush beyond that.

Harper is definitely not Tony Blair, who was in Bush's back pocket, and he's also not Gordon Brown who has made it his utmost goal to NOT be in Bush's pocket.

In my personal opinion, Harper probably views their relationship the same way most Canadians do: Like that annoying aunt or uncle that you are required to invite to Christmas dinner. Sure, they give you a few hundred cash as a Christmas present, which you enjoy, but sometimes you really wonder if it's worth the nuance of having to listen to constant criticisms about your center piece. In the end, you invite them again next year.

3. No. I don't think that if Obama is elected, it will change the outcome of the Canadian election. Mainly because the Canadian election will be held a month before the American election.

I also feel strongly that Harper called the election before the American election because if John McCain wins, Canada is screwed regarding Arctic Sovereignty, and he needs a majority government to be able to do anything. And, if the Liberals win (highly unlikely), then he can wash his hands of any responsibility. Such is the bane of a minority government, you take all the responsibility for everything that your opposition wont let you do.

What about you? What do you think?

KK.

* I don't know why we're calling him Tido.... it just came to me. So highly unrepresentative of the actual guy

** Another thing I learned this weekend is that I can NOT shut up when it comes to Politics. It's sad and disgusting and I need to learn to just shut up!


*** I LOVE comments. Leave more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So there I am, fishing for more, when he says: "Don't worry, you'll find lots of idiots like me in your life..." He's right. I will. But for now, he's one of my favorite idiots."

Wow. I thought you were really smart, but what I'm finding is you are just really arrogant. I'd stick to what you're good at unless your goal is to be an "old maid." I wonder how Man Friend would feel if he read this. Then again, maybe he has and enjoys being belittled.

Anonymous said...

I fail to see how in any way shape of form this makes her arrogant and destined to end alone.

First of all, I know that I will ALLWAYS be there...Probaly in some form of attached house deal many wine bars!!

Second, I fail to see how refusing to settle, refusing to lower standards makes someone arrogant or destined to be an old maid....

I really could not see you surrounded by cats....Just think of your pretty black dress!!!

Geek in the Pink said...

First of all, I am not going to respond to the anonymous coward who thinks you should stick to "what you are good at", as it would be a waste of typing.

Second, I am very interested in your political stance. When i say interested I mean that in a positive way. So you answered my question very well. You are obviously a democrat when discussing the United States, but I am having trouble figuring out which Canadian political party you support. I've always been a supporter of the PC party, however lately I have found myself leaning more as a liberal (provincially). Don't get me wrong, I will not vote for Dion because of his obvious incompetence. I think Harper has done an excellent job in some of the areas of Canada, but do you not agree that Harper has taken a larger interest in the events occurring in the middle east? Whether you call them peacekeepers or soldiers of war, they are still there fighting. By glorifying a name only masks the situation, it does not improve it.

There is not much use of discussing NDP or Green Party because NDP has never worked in Canada (at least not lately) and Green Party is just a recycled conservative party.