Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Jane Austen .... Oh How She Speaks to Me

Jane Austen was the literary genius who steals my heart and soul with every romantic turn, gesture and utterance of her suave and intense characters. i love her and she speaks to me. I think that she speaks to a lot of women.

Jane Austen harnesses the incredibly delicate balance between desired independence, and the cohabitation of feminine independence in all of it's unbridled furry. Women often find the two to be mutually exclusive, which is why we constantly have inner battles about probabilities and possibilities between career, and romance.... and the ever eternal debate on soul mates. Jane figured it out, way back in the 19th century.

She loved and lost, and was termed an old spinster for her older years. For me, she is my muse. A goddess divine that society restricted from the only man who would and could have her without extinguishing her, so she chose to live on and inspire her minions for centuries to come. And for that, I thank her.


That being said, I have read and re-read many a Jane Austen book. Except for Persuasion. That one seems to be elusive to me. Perhaps I'll purchase and pack for Greece. Anyway, H. brought a book by SHANNON HALE called AUSTENLAND. Bigupps Shannon, this book rocked my socks for the entire 24 hours that it took me to read it, while balancing a full time job, a house guest and personal hygiene.


H said that this book reminded her of me. The main character, obsessed with the thoughts of Mr. Darcy (our charming hero, notably the love of kira knightley in the movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice).... She's convinced that there's no man as intense and wonderful as him in real life, and resorts back to her DVD player constantly to renew her faith that he is alive, even if it is only as a character, in a movie box, played by Colin Firth.

Main character you ask? Her name is Jane.

She's then whisked away to a 19th century wonderland to find or get over her Mr Darcy love forever.

Go out, and buy this book NOW. I'm serious, do it. I wont ruin the end for you, but I will say this: Jane Austen always stated that her characters would, in the end, receive their hearts desire.... Hale sees that this is true for her character as well.

After I finished reading, I smiled for 4 hours straight, re-lived the parts of majesty and started to plot my wait for my own intense and perfect Mr. Darcy.... because sometimes a good book has that effect on me, and I love it.

H. has decided that she needs to re-read it because it made me so giddy.

Dear Shannon Hale,

You will never read this, but just so you know, you now rank as a "literary goddess divine" in my book. Thank you for lending me your imagination for 24 short and amazing hours.


KK.

P.S. Geek In The Pink... I haven't forgotten about you. However, swooning and political rantings ARE very much mutually exclusive, give me until tomorrow, will ya?
P.P.S. Jason Mraz song.... interesting pseudonym.

No comments: